Thursday, November 13, 2008

Oh the joy!?

Yesterday was a wonderful day? Well maybe not that great really but there sure was lots of things going on. We got the caner from the church so I was helping some of the sisters with that and doing my own. I also went to help in Maddie's class which is always fun. The fun really began after that.

I had just got home from getting some clamps from Trudy's house, I got out of the car and started hearing this hissing sound. I went to where it was coming from and it was my back tire, there was a lovely rock wedged in the tire, GREAT!? I called Steve to see what I should do, he asked if it was flat and I said no. He asked if it was going down fast and I said no, well it didn't seem to be. I really have no idea about cars can you tell! He said I could probably make it to Fred and Wayne's so I quickly loaded the kids back up and off we went.

We got about half way when I started hearing a noise that didn't sound too good so I pulled over. I got out to check the damage and the tire was TOTALLY flat. At that point I wasn't sure what to do. I thought, do I stay in the car and hope someone notices my hazard lights and stops to help. I decided maybe I could start to change to the tire myself so I got out and got to work.

I got as far as putting the jack, I don't know if that's what it's called, remember I did say I have no idea about cars! Anyway I started to get the car lifted up when a truck pulled up and two guys got out and took over. I was sooo thankful they stopped to help, I'm sure I could have done it on my own but it would have taken a LONG time and probably wouldn't have been that great. I was just thankful they stopped, they said if they hadn't seen the stroller they wouldn't have stopped. So, I guess if you ever break down, get your stroller out and some one nice will stop and help you.

Once they were almost finished another truck pulled over, this time it was my father in law. He helped finish everything up and followed me over to Fred and Wayne's. Once we got there we found out the flat tire was not fixable so we had to get a new tire. Then they said it would be best to get 2 new tires so I thought great, way more money than I wanted to spend. at first they told me $215 and I about died so I asked if they had anything cheaper and they said yes, $180! I didn't know tires were that expensive!!!

Well we got it fixed and I spent lots of money on something that could have just been patched up and only maybe cost about $20. Don't you love how wonderful things like that happen, it's just so joyful!? I guess the nice thing that came out of this is that it's nice to know there out good people out there who are always so willing to help. I felt bad because the one guy was so filthy and by the end of it, his nice cream coat was covered in dirt, SORRY! What a wonderful example to my children though who by the way were all in the car which made it even more fun! What a great opportunity to teach them about service, so even though it was not something I wanted to happen, it at least showed my kids how good people really are. Thank you to those 2 men for being so kind and for my father in law who helped me to and also saw how crazy I am, I think he already knew that though, hahaha!

4 comments:

Renee' P said...

Props to you for actually attempting to change the tire. I a with you in the car category. My husband is the car goo-roo.
We had to buy a new tire a few months ago because some idot slashed it. It was almost 200 for one tire!
Glad everything turned out okay for you.

Nat said...

I think if it were me I would just sit in the car and cry! Go you for trying to do it yourself! I'm glad someone stopped to help, though-it's always a comfort to have someone do it who knows what they're doing!

Shera said...

I am proud of you for trying! I am sorry you have had a lot of crazy days lately!

Miranda said...

I hate that kind of thing! I am impressed you gave it a shot! Sometimes I wish there were other ways around expenses like that! Glad there are still good people in the world, the news makes you feel like everyone is awful. Love the webcam pics!