Saturday, June 14, 2008

Steve's 1st marathon

Today was Steve's marathon (the Teton Dam one). They had to leave super early this morning, I think around 4.30am. Once they got up to Rexburg they had to get a bus that took them up to the dam to begin the race. They started running at 6.30am, way to early for me so you'll never find me doing anything like this.

Anyway we all got ready here and set off at around 9.45am thinking we would get there in time to see Steve cross the finish line. There was road construction on the way there but we still thought we would make it from when Steve told us he thought he would finish. Anyway we finally got there and found a parking spot and started walking towards the finish line. At one point we thought we had heard Rod's name but it wasn't. Then we got closer and I could see someone that looked like Steve so I went towards the middle of the road and sure enough it was Steve! They called out his name and he was done!

We quickly got over there to find someone helping him over to the ambulance to sit down. I guess he almost passed out from when I saw him cross the finish line, to getting to him but I didn't see that. We were so sad we weren't right there at the finish line when he came in but we were happy that we saw him make it across. Grandma and Grandpa Pettingill were there though so that was nice.

He did FANTASTIC! His goal was to finish in 4 hours and 2o minutes but he ended up finishing in 3 hours 56 minutes, 24 minutes faster. That's why we ended up not getting there in time, he just did too well. He was pretty wrecked at the end though, I was so impressed with him. He sat there for a minute at the ambulance, the kids couldn't wait to see him, Maddie was so proud. We went and looked at the results at the end and Steve had come in 3rd in his age bracket which was the 25-29 year olds, how great is that! He came in 31st overall, he was so happy and he even got a medal, Maddie was impressed by that too.

I only got 2 pictures and then my camera died so as soon as I get copies from Steve's Mom and our friend I'll add some more pictures. Anyway I'm so proud of him. He trained so hard and did amazingly. He's pretty sore and tired now and he thinks he's going to lose a couple of toe nails but he's so glad he did it. YEAH for Steve/Daddy, you did FANTASTIC!!!

2 comments:

Mosers said...

Congrats, ..... I couldn't do it. I can barely walk through the grocery store right now without being winded, I'm sure it's the baby though, and the other two little ones I pack around. That is awesome he did so well, tell him congrats form us! :)

Cali and Travis said...

I'm absolutely impressed that you did it. I'll be honest when you guys were talking about it back in February I balked. But good for you Steve-O.