Friday, October 3, 2008

My first canning experience!

I'm SOOO excited! Today I canned for the first time and it was fantastic.
My mother in law Sherisse, my sister in law Trish and I had frozen some corn about a month ago but we decided we would can next year which I was okay with. Then one of my friends Susan in our ward said her parents had tons of pairs for free so I was all about getting free pears. I asked Sherisse if she would help me can them and she said yes so I was really happy.

We then decided we could probably do some peaches too so I thought GREAT! So from that one box of pears we did tons of canning. We got 3 more big boxes of pears, 3 big boxes of peaches and then we canned 12 quarts of tomatoes from our garden. We all ended up getting 18 big jars of pears and 19 big jars of peaches.

It really wasn't very hard like I had thought it would be. Mainly it was just time consuming but with all us girls and Steve bless him, it only took 4 hours to get it all canned and then the extra time to cook it all. I don't think cook is the proper term but I don't know all the canning terms yet. Steve had taken the day off work because the kids were out of school, I don't think he thought he would be canning with us but he was such a great help so we really appreciated him helping us.

Now I'm so excited to can more stuff. I think we're going to make chili sauce next and maybe apple sauce so I'm really looking forward to that. I want to go and get my own canning stuff now so I can do little bits here and there at home. I'm really looking forward to next year now too so we can do more. It was especially fun to can the tomatoes we grew so next year when we plant more beans it'll be fun to can those. It's just so great to grow your own veg's and be able to see the end product, even with the pears and peaches today, it was so fun seeing all the jars covering the counters.

Thank you Susan for offering us those free pears that motivated us to do way more and thank you Sherisse, Trish and Steve for helping me learn how to can even though we weren't going to do it this year, I'm so glad we did. YAY for canning!!!

5 comments:

Janae -- Thoughts in Vinyl said...

Sounds like a busy day. I grew up with a mother who canned a ton every year, but I never learned how. I should have helped her out and then maybe I could have learned how myself. It is definately on my to-do list for next year.

jo said...

i've never canned, either. and i'm surrounded by canning gurus! my parents and a lot of my good friends are experts, but i've just never tried (except i think i helped my parents a couple of times when i was a kid.) maybe someday i'll get in to it! good for you for doing all of that!

Mosers said...

I hope you got my message about where to get stuff...we should go together sometime... there is a "device" that you can put apples on and turn the handle and it will peel and core your apple for you... my sister does grape juice and everything... call me and we could get together to do some sometime... there are a lot of guidelines...but if you get a Ball canning book it has all that in it for you!

Jodi said...

Wow! Don't you feel so satisfied when you can? I haven't done very much, but every time I do I feel very prepared for disaster and homemakey (strange I know). I have one of those apple peeler/corer thingys that Mosers spoke about. It was given to me and I really don't even know how to use it. You are welcome to borrow it if you decide to tackle apples. So, are all the pears gone? I wasn't sure if I needed to go pick them up or if it was like a first come first serve thing.

Nat said...

My mom has always canned, and I've helped her a bit, but I would have no idea where to start without her! I would love to have one of those pressure thingeys that seal the lids on.